"Nobody now fears that a Japanese fleet could deal an unexpected blow on our Pacific possessions... Radio makes surprises impossible." - Josephus Daniels, owner of the Raleigh News & Observer, on WLAC's first broadcast Oct. 16, 1922
N.C. State student radio dates back to 1921-1922, when Instructor Major George C. Cox and his electrical engineering students began constructing a "radiotelephone transmitting apparatus." At least one source reports the first experimental broadcast took place on March 5, 1922, which would make it North Carolina's very first radio broadcast. A more precise origin date is Aug. 31, 1922, when WLAC "We Lead All Colleges" at North Carolina State College became the first radio station in eastern North Carolina and the third to be licensed in the entire state.
The 2,000 watt AM station operated out of a studio in Winston Hall. WLAC's first official broadcast was on Oct. 16, 1922 and featured a variety of speakers, including Cameron Morrison (Governor of North Carolina, 1921-1925), T.B. Eldridge (Mayor of Raleigh, 1921-1923) and W.C. Riddick (President of N.C. State College, 1919-1923). Another guest speaker was Josephus Daniels, former secretary of the U.S. Navy and owner of the Raleigh News & Observer, who made the ironic prediction: "Nobody now fears that a Japanese fleet could deal an unexpected blow on our Pacific possessions... Radio makes surprises impossible."
During that first year, the station broadcast a musical program from a Junior Faculty Club event and play-by-play of N.C. State baseball . In the book Education's Own Stations, S. E. Frost reports "as there was no appropriation available to care for the expenses of the station, only intermittent broadcasts of a more or less experimental nature were possible." No application for renewal was filed and the station went off the air the next year. The station was deleted from the Department of Commerce records on Oct. 29, 1923. The call letters WLAC were reassigned to a station in Nashville in 1926.