Howdy Y’all! I hope your finals week has been good and manageable. With the semester wrapping up, the beautiful urge to read thaws out from within. Here is the song recommendation guide: book edition. These are a handful of songs that I believe pair well with the books I’ve read lately. I like to imagine that a book has a corresponding soundtrack, and here is what I think some would sound like. Hopefully you get the chance to try one of these books over break.
Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
Song of Achilles is a beautifully moody love story set in the Greek Heroic Age. It is an adaptation of Homer’s Iliad told from the perspective of Patroclus. This was my favorite book of the year. Be prepared to have your heart ripped out.
- Achilles Come Down by Gang of Youths
- PATROCLUS MEETS HIS FATE by Andrew Achilles DiMestico
- Anchor by Novo Amor
- To Be Alone With You by Sufjan Stevens
- The Night We Met by Lord Huron
Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer
Annihilation is the first book in the Southern Reach Trilogy and centers around a team of four women’s journey through Area X. The book is better than the movie adaptation!
- Deep End by Holly Humberstone
- My Heart Goes Bum Bum Bum by Flatsound
- To Build A Home by The Cinematic Orchestra and Patrick Watson
- Cherry Wine by Hozier
- Oceans by Seafret
One Last Stop by Casey McQuiston
One Last Stop was a great LGBTQ+ read. Casey McQuiston, author of Red, White, & Royal Blue, pens a perfectly crafted sapphic love story with some twists.
- mom i think im gay by Boyish
- Space Song by Beach House
- Shut Up Kiss Me by Angel Olsen
- Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now by The Smiths
- Her by Dizzy Fae
Normal People by Sally Rooney
Normal People was another one of my favorite reads of the year. Great for the hopeless romantic turned realist.
- All I Want by Kodaline
- You’re Somebody Else by flora cash
- Like Real People Do by Hozier
- Icarus by Fana Hues
- Wash. by Bon Iver
We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
We Were Liars was an easy read. This book is very last-great-american-dynasty-esque, following a girl from a wealthy family and a tragic summer.
If you read We Were Liars by E. Lockhart, try…
- Home for the Summer by Sara Kays
- As the World Caves In by Matt Maltese
- Things We Lost In The Fire by Bastille
- Our Time is Short by Gang of Youths
- Royals by Lorde
I hope you enjoy this song recommendation guide: book edition and have a safe and happy break/holidays!
<3, dj mozzie