Happy Saturday everyone! Here are the songs that I’ve had on repeat lately:
- Grip 3:16 (feat. Kenny Mason & J.I.D) by Grip: Grip links up with fellow Atlanta natives Kenny Mason and J.I.D and together they spit over a Crosby & Nash sample.
- Shimmy Shimmy Ya by Ol’ Dirty Bastard: The lead single off of ODB’s solo debut managed to become a hit despite it consisting of only a hook and the same verse repeated twice. But with his idiosyncratic style and quotable lyrics, it’s easy to see why.
- Dora by Tierra Whack: Miss Whack’s new track finds her sleeping in Gucci sheets, enjoying floor seats at basketball games, and even contemplating buying a horse. Check out the music video here.
- HËÂT RŌČK. by Tobe Nwigwe: This track features an impressive verse from Tobe Nwigwe that starts before the beat drops: “I ain’t gone wait till the beat drops/I’mma get it while it’s warm and start to form this heat rock.”
- Look Over Your Shoulder (feat. Kendrick Lamar) by Busta Rhymes: This track was officially released on Busta’s new album, Extinction Level Event 2: Wrath of God. However, various versions leaked online as early as 2017. Either way, Kendrick and Busta both deliver over a beat that heavily samples “I’ll Be There” by The Jackson 5.
- You’ll Never Walk Alone by Brittany Howard: Originally coming up as the lead singer of Alabama Shakes, Brittany Howard has embarked on an exciting solo career, a move that has allowed her to explore other sounds in a more intimate setting.
- Something in the Water (feat. Denzel Curry) by Saba: On this track, Saba and Denzel Curry take aim at the exploitative nature of the music industry and profiteers of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Dragonball Durag Remix (feat. Smino & Guapdad 4000) by Thundercat: On this remix, Thundercat enlists Smino and Guapdad to rap about various hair care products.
– DJ Mango