The Women’s Center at NC State is hosting an incredible design project intended to bring healing and empowerment through the arts. Because artistic expression has proven to be a positive recovery strategy for many survivors, the Women’s Center is putting together a coloring book made up of affirmative designs created by survivors at NC State. If you’re a member of the NC State community and have experienced interpersonal violence, you are encouraged to participate. Here is some more information directly from the Women’s Center regarding the initiative:
Many survivors of interpersonal violence find healing and recovery through grounding practices of mindfulness and artistic expression. This opportunity is for any NC State student, faculty or staff who has experienced interpersonal violence to create an original “coloring-book” design. Designs should use words, phrases or imagery that have helped in your individual healing and recovery.
Submissions will be reviewed by Women’s Center staff to be included in the first-ever NC State Women’s Center Coloring book titled, “The Colors of Healing: Designs for Survivors by Survivors”. All submissions are anonymous.
- Any member of the NC State Community who has experienced or been impacted by any form of interpersonal violence (including but not limited to sexual assault, sexual harassment, domestic or dating violence, childhood sexual abuse, or stalking) are invited to contribute.
- You do not have to identify with the label “survivor” to contribute.
- Secondary survivors (often friends, family members or close loved ones of a survivor who experience secondary trauma) are welcome to submit designs.
- Participants are encouraged to submit designs that represent your experience and/or identity, and designs should affirm and support all survivors inclusive of all gender identities, sexual orientations, racial identities, national origins, and lived experiences.
- Submissions should include imagery that represents healing, growth, strength, empowerment.
- Designs can include words, phrases, quotes, or affirmations that promote healing, growth, strength, or empowerment (If quotes or poems are used please identify the author).
- Quotes or phrases can be submitted in any language (If text is not in English, please provide English translation in submission).
- Designs should be black and white line drawings and able to be colored.
- Submissions can be created on 8.5×11 paper or using the template at this link.
- Designs can be created digitally, or hand-drawn and scanned.
- If you need additional support to scan or submit your design, please contact email@example.com
- Designs will be printed vertically
- Individuals may submit up to 3 designs
Submissions are due by October 31. In November, an entire coloring book will be available for the whole community!
Visit this link for more information and to submit your design.
– DJ Butter
(All information directly from the NC State Women’s Center website)