Hey everyone! Libra season is in full effect (along with midterms) and with that said, here is a playlist of songs that got me through the past week.
- Guilty by Lady Wray: Lady Wray, f.k.a Nicole Wray, has reinvented herself as a seasoned soul veteran, and “Guilty” is a testament to just that. Check out my spotlight on her right here!
- With A Smile by Gabriel Garzón-Montano: A highlight from GGM’s new album Agüita, one of my most anticipated releases of the past few months. I especially love the outro’s use of acoustic guitar, harp, and vocal harmonies. Look out for my review on the full album!
- Ronnie Drake (feat. SZA) by Isaiah Rashad: Rashad’s debut, Cilvia Demo, proved that he could hold his own against his TDE labelmates like Kendrick and ScHoolboy Q. “Ronnie Drake” serves as the perfect example of why. Check out my review of the album here!
- Interlude (That’s Love) by Chance the Rapper: Chance’s Acid Rap is the mixtape that got me into hip-hop music. “Interlude (That’s Love)” is a lovely ballad about love that features Chano’s one-of-a-kind storytelling – be sure to check out my review of Acid Rap here!
- ‘96 Neve Campell (feat. Cam & China) by clipping.: Just in time for spooky season, the title of this track is a reference to Neve Campbell’s “final girl” character in the 1996 film Scream. With their verses, Cam and China prove that a masked killer is no match for them.
- Holden by Mista Lyrical: Representing Greensboro, “Holden” chronicles Mista Lyrical’s adolescence in the city’s south side. Check it out!
- feel away (feat. James Blake & Mount Kimbie) by slowthai: Tyron dedicated this new track to his late brother who died at a young age. The song is accompanied with an incredible video – check it out here!
- RASCAL (feat. Young Thug) by RMR: RMR appeared on the scene back in February of this year with his debut single “RASCAL”, a country/rap cover of the Rascal Flatt’s “Bless the Broken Road”. This remix features a poignant verse from Thugger that compliments RMR’s auto-tune crooning.