Tag: Black Lips
by DJ Ones on Dec.31, 2011, under Daytime
It’s that time of the year again, and as we say farewell to 2011 and greet 2012 many of us here at WKNC reflected on what the best albums of the year were. Much like the previous two years I sent out a request to the Daytime staff to see what their favorite albums of 2011 were, and below are their top five individual favorites.
1. Sarah Jarosz- Follow Me Down
2. Chris Thile & Michael Daves- Sleep With One Eye Open
3. Bombadil- All the Rain Promises
4. The Decemberists- The King Is Dead
5. Mandolin Orange- Haste Make, Hard Hearted Stranger
1. Wye Oak- Civilian
2. The Dodos- No Color
3. St. Vincent- Strange Mercy
4. Fleet Foxes- Helplessness Blues
5. James Blake- James Blake
What are your favorite albums of the year? Comment below.
Enjoy these albums, compiled by The DJ Ones. [editors note: Those Darlins' album art is quite interesting!]
|#1||Those Darlings||Screws Get Loose||Oh Wow Dang|
|#2||Seapony||Go With Me||Hardly Art|
|#3||Amor De Dias||Street Of The Love Of Days||Merge|
|#4||Donkeys||Born With Stripes||Dead Oceans|
|#5||Kids on a Crime Spree||We Love You So Bad||Slumberland|
|#6||Vaccines||What Did You Expect From The Vaccines?||Columbia|
|#7||Cults||In The Name Of||Columbia|
|#8||Sallie Ford and the Sound Outside||Dirty Radio||Partisan|
|#9||Thao and Mirah||Thao And Mirah||Kill Rock Stars|
|#10||Tiger Darrow||Tiger Darrow||You Know Who You Are|
|#11||Arctic Monkeys||Suck It And See||Domino|
|#12||Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.||It’s A Corporate World||Quite Scientific|
|#13||Gardens and Villa||Secretly Canadian||Secretly Canadian|
|#14||Girls Names||Dead To Me||Slumberland|
|#16||Rosebuds||Loud Planes Fly Low||Merge|
|#17||Liam Finn||FOMO||Yep Rock|
|#18||My Morning Jacket||Circuital||ATO|
|#20||Hooray For Earth||True Loves||Dovecote|
|#21||Death Cab For Cutie||Codes And Keys||Columbia|
|#22||Foster the People||Torches||Columbia|
|#24||Vetiver||The Errant Charm||SubPop|
|#25||Black Lips||Arabia Mountain||Vice|
|#26||Thurston Moore||Demolished Thoughts||Matador|
|#27||David Bazan||Strange Negotiations||Barsuk|
|#28||Danger Mouse and Danielle Luppi||Rome||EMI|
|#29||David Fonseca||Between Waves||Castle Of The Amazing Cats|
|#30||Matt Pond PA||Spring Fools||Altitude|
Another week, another Top 30 hits from your friendly daytime music director, Michael Jones.
|#1||Austra||Feel It Break||Domino|
|#2||Donkeys||Born With Stripes||Dead Oceans|
|#3||Thao and Mirah||Thao and Mirah||Kill Rock Stars|
|#4||Love Inks||E.S.P.||City Slang|
|#6||Kids on a Crime Spree||We Love You So Bad||Slumberland|
|#7||Girl Names||Dead To Me||Slumberland|
|#8||Amor De Dias||Street Of The Love Of Days||Merge|
|#9||Vaccines||What Did You Expect From The Vaccines?||Columbia|
|#10||Rosebuds||Loud Planes Fly Low||Merge|
|#11||Those Darlings||Screws Get Loose||Oh Wow Dang|
|#12||Generationals||Actor-Caster||Park The Van|
|#14||My Morning Jacket||Circuital||ATO|
|#15||Foster the People||Torches||Columbia|
|#16||Wild Palms||Until Spring||One Little Indian|
|#17||Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.||It’s A Corporate World||Quite Scientific|
|#18||Seapony||Go With Me||Hardly Art|
|#19||Matt Pond PA||Spring Fools||Altitude|
|#20||Black Lips||Arabia Mountain||Vice|
|#23||Okkervil River||I Am Very Far||Jagjaguwar|
|#24||Thurston Moore||Demolished Thoughts||Domino|
|#25||Sam Roberts Band||Collider||Rounder|
|#26||I’m From Barcelona||Forever Today||Mute|
|#27||Fleet Foxes||Helplessness Blues||Sub Pop|
|#28||Wombats||This Modern Glitch||Bright Antenna|
|#29||Dan Sartain||Legacy Of Hospitality||One Little Indian|
|#30||Vetiver||The Errant Charm||Sub Pop|
by DJ Mollypop on Apr.04, 2011, under Promotions
They are delicious and they are going FAST! (only you don’t have to pay for them… )
This week at WKNC we have some amazing giveaways we are pretty excited about. We’ve also got something AMAZING coming next week, so stay tuned (literally). Or become our friend on facebook to find out NOW.
Remember, you have to listen to win!
by DJ Ones on Mar.26, 2010, under Daytime
1. Black Lips have released details about their follow-up to 2009′s “200 Million Thousand.” The album, which has yet to be titled, is set to release sometime during the summer. In talking about the next album, guitarist Ian Saint Pé stated, “I’m already digging what we’ve got. I’ve read reviews where people say we haven’t changed, but, man, the wheel ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” (via Billboard)
2. The New Pornographers have announced a new single, and a large, upcoming, North American tour in support of their next album entitled “Together.” The single, is called “The Crash Years,” and the band is planning to make a stop at Memorial Hall, on the campus of UNC, June 25. (via Pitchfork)
3. Saturday Night Live actor Fred Armisen has joined Joanna Newsom during her current tour. Armisen who helps open the show as German drumming expert Jens Hennemann, has joined Newsom during her shows in Virginia, North Carolina, and Georgia. (via Pitchfork)
4. Concert promoter Live Nation has started testing new digital wristbands that would allow concert-goers the ability to purchase concessions and work as the ticket for a show or festival. The technology, which is used to help fight against touting, uses smart chip technology to track the audience. John Probyn from Live Nation UK states, “Your ticket won’t be a paper ticket, it’ll be a wristband unique to you.” (via NME)
5. Beck has been joined by Liars, St. Vincent, and Sergio Dias of Os Mutantes to record INXS’s 1987 album, “Kicks.” The fourth album in Beck’s project to cover entire records in one day, was recorded in approximately 12 hours. The song “Guns from the Sky” is available to listen to now. (via NME)
If you’ve never seen Black Lips live, you owe it to yourself to do so the next time they are in town. This being my third time seeing them at the Cat’s Cradle this weekend, I can say with 100 percent certainty that they put on one of the best rock shows out of any touring band playing now.
After a mediocre opening set by the band Box Elders (think Black Lips minus any hooks), the Lips took the stage at full throttle and never let up. “O Katrina” and “Short Fuse,” two of my favorite Black Lips songs, popped up early in the set, along with Beatles-esque crowd-pleaser “Dirty Hands.”
One of the most entertaining parts of a Black Lips show is watching guitarist and singer Cole Alexander flail around the stage. While I’d seen him pull the spit-straight-up-and-catch-it move before, he had a new trick this time which involved spitting on the back of his guitar and raising it up to catch the drip. All this while never missing a note.
A lively crowd who bounced the whole show and a light mosh pit only served to add to the energy being exuded from the stage.
Black Lips are truly the definition of a great live rock show.
by Sweet Melissa on Mar.12, 2010, under Local
Here are the fantastic shows that are taking place this week that WKNC is giving away tickets to! Be sure to tune into 88.1 FM or stream live for your chance to win!
As always, check out the Rock Report for a complete list of local shows!
by Sweet Melissa on Mar.03, 2010, under Daytime
WKNC is always working hard to bring you more ticket giveaways to great shows, and this week is no different! Tune into 88.1 FM for your chances to win tickets to these awesome shows:
Wednesday, March 3
Friday, March 5
Saturday, March 6
Sunday, March 7
Don’t forget! You can always be sure to get a full schedule of local shows happening in your area by checking out WKNC’s Rock Report.