Enjoy these albums, compiled by The DJ Ones. [editors note: Those Darlins' album art is quite interesting!]
|#1||Those Darlings||Screws Get Loose||Oh Wow Dang|
|#2||Seapony||Go With Me||Hardly Art|
|#3||Amor De Dias||Street Of The Love Of Days||Merge|
|#4||Donkeys||Born With Stripes||Dead Oceans|
|#5||Kids on a Crime Spree||We Love You So Bad||Slumberland|
|#6||Vaccines||What Did You Expect From The Vaccines?||Columbia|
|#7||Cults||In The Name Of||Columbia|
|#8||Sallie Ford and the Sound Outside||Dirty Radio||Partisan|
|#9||Thao and Mirah||Thao And Mirah||Kill Rock Stars|
|#10||Tiger Darrow||Tiger Darrow||You Know Who You Are|
|#11||Arctic Monkeys||Suck It And See||Domino|
|#12||Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.||It’s A Corporate World||Quite Scientific|
|#13||Gardens and Villa||Secretly Canadian||Secretly Canadian|
|#14||Girls Names||Dead To Me||Slumberland|
|#16||Rosebuds||Loud Planes Fly Low||Merge|
|#17||Liam Finn||FOMO||Yep Rock|
|#18||My Morning Jacket||Circuital||ATO|
|#20||Hooray For Earth||True Loves||Dovecote|
|#21||Death Cab For Cutie||Codes And Keys||Columbia|
|#22||Foster the People||Torches||Columbia|
|#24||Vetiver||The Errant Charm||SubPop|
|#25||Black Lips||Arabia Mountain||Vice|
|#26||Thurston Moore||Demolished Thoughts||Matador|
|#27||David Bazan||Strange Negotiations||Barsuk|
|#28||Danger Mouse and Danielle Luppi||Rome||EMI|
|#29||David Fonseca||Between Waves||Castle Of The Amazing Cats|
|#30||Matt Pond PA||Spring Fools||Altitude|
by DJ Ones on Dec.13, 2010, under Daytime
1. Singer Nick Cave was involved in a car crash Tuesday December 8. Cave smashed his car against a speed camera on the Hove seafront in Sussex, England. Cave and his two sons who were with him walked away from the collision unharmed. He refused to comment on the incident, and no other cars were involved. (via BBC)
2. After completion of the Tron Legacy soundtrack, Daft Punk will now be getting their own line of merchandise from Disney. The merchandise that Disney will be offering in promotion of the film and soundtrack include a set of light-up headphones, and a set of toys that depict their likeness. (via Pitchfork)
3. Los Campesinos! have announced plans to release a quarterly magazine titled Heat Rash. The publication will include a 7′ single, and exclusive tracks to download from the band. The subscription also includes discounts to band merchandise, access to early concert tickets, and music before it gets released. (via LosCampesinos.com)
4. After announcing the process of recording an entire album on an iPad, Gorillaz frontman Damon Albarn is planning on releasing said album for free on Christmas Day. The record, which was recorded exclusively on Albarn’s iPad during his latest tour, will be available in its entirety on December 25. (via NME)
5. The British super-group formed out of members of The Libertines and Arctic Monkeys have detailed information about the release of their debut album. The group, named The Bottletop Band, is prepared to release their album in April. (via NME)
by DJ Ones on Sep.11, 2010, under Daytime
Every year the Mercury Prize is awarded to an act who is considered to have put out the best British album within the past year. This year, after much anticipation among British music aficionados, The XX have been declared the winner for their album XX. Facing a tremendous amount of competition from acts including Mumford and Sons, Laura Marling, and Paul Weller, The XX came out on top at the end of the wait.
After it was announced that The XX won the prize on September 7, band member Oliver Sim went on to say “Thank you so much, we’ve had the most incredible year.” He later added, “Everyday we’ve woken up to something incredible.”
by DJ Ones on Mar.27, 2010, under Daytime
Here is a compilation of the latest new music we have received in the past week.
Free Energy- Stuck on Nothing
Sounding closer to Thin Lizzy and Cheap Trick, Free Energy emits a fun, upbeat, guitar heavy album.
Drive-by Truckers- The Big To-Do
Probably the best southern rock album you’ll listen to this year. Imagine Dinosaur Jr. with a country slant –if you haven’t listened to one of their other nine excellent albums. Get out your lighters y’all.
Love is All- Two Thousand and Ten Injuries
High energy Swedish pop. Eccentric album with a collage of traditional and not so traditional rock instruments, i.e. saxophone. The female vocals can get annoying at times but the excellent clash of sounds make up for that.
Arctic Monkeys- My Propeller (single)
Solid B-sides that play of of the similar down tempo beats from Humbug. Although they don’t do anything revolutionary for the band, they are still quite enjoyable for the fans.
She & Him- Volume Two
Pop favorite Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward are at it again with another charming album. This time it’s more she than him. Really sweet and endearing, although after the first few tracks you start to lose your sugar high.
Slow Club- Yeah So
This UK indie-duo has sweet lyrics, simple guitar melodies and interesting harmonies. They take turns with lead vocals and never disappoint. Every song is interesting, up-beat and give you that feeling of: I want more more more.
Pavement – Quarantine the Past: The Best of Pavement
Well, hot damn. Listening to this compilation, it’s remarkable to hear how genius Pavement’s music is–their low-fi aesthetic perfectly melds with Stephen Malkmus’s lazy, idiosyncratic wordplay . This compilation is absolutely essential–it’s sequencing is flawless and the track choice balances their singles with album gems.
Jason Collett – Rat A Tat Tat
More good stuff from the Arts & Crafts Label. Collet’s tunes are impassioned with twang and swagger and his music walks the line between alt-country, 60s pop, and the more soulful dispositions of indie rock.
One For The Team- Ghosts
Catchy, unpretentious, and unabashedly fun power pop. It sounds like Mates of State with punk grit or the New Pornographers playing Something Corporate. Lots of crunchy guitars and incessant harmonies.
Josiah Wolf- Jetlag
I really like this album! Here we have the solo album from the drummer of WHY? Seeing as I am not a huge fan of WHY? I was somewhat skeptical, however I was totally wrong. I am really into this folky Paul Simon-esque experience.
Goldfrapp- Head First
You know I love this. Rocket might be the catchiest song ever. Think Xanadu meets David Bowie, a mixture of ’80s glam rock and ’70s disco.
Drink Up Buttercup- Born and Thrown on a Hook
Psychedelic mixture of the Beatles and Man Man. A weird pop experience for sure.
Let’s Wrestle- In the Court of the Wrestling Let’s
Scrappy British punk music. They are on Merge Records and have been getting a lot of press.
Dum Dum Girls- I Will Be
This is sort of a mixture between ’60s girl pop and shoegaze buzz garage rock. Sort of falling the trend of most of the bands out right now, but this one is surprisingly good.
Black Tambourine- Black Tambourine
This band has pretty much influenced every popular band out right now. Shoegaze pop that resembles A Sunny Day in Glasgow, but a lot darker.
WKNC listeners and supporters,
We hope you have already bought your Double Barrel Benefit tickets; we’ve sold a bunch already. Physical 2-day passes are available at Schoolkids Records on Hillsborough Street here in Raleigh, and you can order your tickets online here.
We have a few exciting announcements as we get closer to the exciting two-night event.
1) Double Barrel Benefit 7 shirts are in, and they are awesome! Kudos to Kirsten Southwell for the design and Aardvark Screenprinting for making it work on a shirt. You can get yours for $12 at the shows. But, of course, supplies are limited!
2) We’re happy to report that the one and only Magic Mike Casey will be on hand for both nights, doing a little magic on stage and working the crowd. If you didn’t know, he is truly a wizard and will perform the kind of up-close wonders that will absolutely convince you he’s performing magic rather than tricks. He will take the stage before the first act of each night and be on hand, so be sure to look for him.
3) We’re very grateful to both Holly Aiken and Aardvark Screenprinting for their help with some special items: WKNC Stitch bags. You’ve probably seen the storefront on the corner of Wilmington and Hargett Streets in downtown Raleigh, or you’ve seen someone around with one of her stylish vinyl bags. We’re lucky enough to have a limited run of WKNC clutches and tote bags with a design relevant to the 7th annual Double Barrel Benefit. We’ll be holding a silent auction for these items each of the two nights, so you need to get in the door to see these for yourself. (Below are the bag types we will be auctioning, but you’ll have to be there to see them in person!)
4) We have a stockpile of really awesome swag that we’re dying to give away, so we’ll be conducting a raffle each night to give some of it away. Our raffle tickets will be ($1 apiece) numbered PBR temporary tattoos! Here are the items we’ll be be giving away for each night:
We hope you’re as excited about these developments as we are. Rain, sleet, snow, shine, whatever: the show will go on, and we hope we’ll see you at The Pour House Friday and Saturday night. Remember: doors at 8, show at 9!