(Image: Hugh Thomson (1860-1920) / Public domain)
“Pride and Prejudice” is perhaps my favorite novel ever written. It is the perfect mixture of humor and elegance, and it’s my go-to reread book. It would be embarrassing to say how many times I’ve read it, especially since I’ve lost track at this point. If you haven’t had the opportunity to pick it up, it’s a lovely, satirical story written by Jane Austen about the expectations and pitfalls of upper-class women when it came to marriage in the 18th century. The Bennet’s, a family on the fringes of the English gentry, have five young daughters who their mother is desperate to marry off before money runs out. Elizabeth Bennet, our main character, forms a spiteful (yet enticing) relationship with Mr. Darcy, a member of the most elite family in England. It is a delightfully witty and heartwarming novel and I 10/10 recommend.
Listening to this playlist makes me feel like I’m living a life of luxury on the English countryside in the late 1700s. Now I know this time is crazy romanticized, especially since the vast majority of people were not a part of this elite class, but a girl can dream. I’m normally not a big listener of classical music, but these tracks are just too beautiful.
1. Liz on Top of the World – Jean Yves Thibaudet (Pride and Prejudice 2005 Soundtrack)
2. Yes! – Dario Marianelli [feat. Jack Liebeck] (Jane Eyre 2011 Soundtrack)
3. Suite Bergamasque, L. 75: III. Clair de lune – Claude Debussy
4. Awaken – Dario Marianelli [feat. Jack Liebeck] (Jane Eyre 2011 Soundtrack)
5. Concerto in D Minor, BWV 974: II. Adagio – Johann Sebastian Bach
6. Moonlight Sonata – Beethoven
7. Moceaux de Fantasie, op. 3: no.1, elégie – Sergei Rachmaninoff
8. The Secret Life of Daydreams – Jean Yves Thibaudet (Pride and Prejudice 2005 Soundtrack)
– DJ butter