by DJ Ones on Mar.18, 2011, under Daytime
1. At SXSW Jack White unveiled his newest idea, the rolling record store. The record store on wheels, which sells Third Man Record albums, t-shirts, and other paraphernalia. (via Third Man Records)
4. The Mountain Goats are doing their part to help raise money for Japan following the tsunamis. The band, which is currently auctioning a one track demo on ebay. All proceeds go towards helping Doctors Without Boarders. (via Pitchfork)
by Noobhammer on Sep.22, 2009, under Chainsaw
For the past few weeks, I have been playing a set that is quite different from normal metal. Don’t be fooled, it is indeed metal, but it is a thinking man’s metal.
There are so many bands out there in the metal scene all playing the same music that it sometimes makes me lose hope in the metal scene. Yet there are always those few bands who are bold enough and crazy enough to push not only the metal genre itself forward, but question what it truly means to make music.
I am, of course, talking about the subset of metal including Drone, Doom, Shoegaze, Avant-Garde, and Noise. While these genre names may seem crazy, boring, or downright depressing, they also help push us and question the music. These bands that play these styles are actually one of the few innovators in the metal scene. Where everyone else is trying to sound more brutal with breakdowns and blast beats, these guys achieve true brutality and even evilness with their music. With intricate harmonies layered over feedback, and deep moving lyrics superimposed upon a mournful guitar and lone drum, one can lose themselves in the music. All it takes is some patience and expanding of one’s mind.
And that is what I do during that segment. I force you to open your mind, and to truly question what you know about not just metal, but music in general. For I believe, that to truly be a metal-head, you need not only listen to metal and enjoy the music, but to really embrace it and appreciate all forms of it. For there is so much more out in the metal scene than breakdowns, blast beats, cookie monster growls, and dragons. There is actually true art to be found, and you only need to expand your mind to find it.
- Sunn O)))
- My Dying Bride
- Swallow The Sun
- The Angelic Process
Ever wonder what your favorite local artists are listening to? What inspires them to make the music we enjoy?
Let us introduce you to a new feature here at WKNC that introduces you the music that our artists listen to! From here on out we will be regularly be bringing you into the headphones of local bands and friends of local music!
This week the members of Birds of Avalon have graciously sent us lists of what they have been currently rocking out to!
- Led Zeppelin- Down by the Seaside.
- Chicago- 25 or 6 to 4
- Joe Jackson- Steppin Out
- Sparks- Nothing to Do
- Van Halen- Little Guitars
- Steely Dan- My Old School
- Clipse- Ride Around Shinnin
- Benji Huges- The Mummy
- The Cherubs- Stag Party
- And now and for the rest of my life: Brenton Wood- The Oogim Boogum Song
- Cut Copy- Unforgettable Season
- Lyres- How Do You Know?
- Bob Dylan- The Gates of Eden
- A Tribe Called Quest- Award Tour
- The Horrors- I Only Think of You
- DOOM feat Empress Starhh- Still Dope
- Fever Ray- Dry & Dusty
- Franco- Mambu ma Miondo
- Kurt Vile- Freeway
- Crystal Stilts- Departure
Scott Nurkin- Drums
- Sarolta Zalatnay – Hadd Mondjam El
- Bonniwell Music Machine – Astrologically Incompatible
- Carlton and the Shoes – Never Give Your Heart Away
- Alphonse Mouzon – Mind Transplant
- The Millineum – The Know-It-All
- Buffalo Springfield – It’s so Hard to Wait
- Joe Jackson – Friday
- Love – You Set the Scene
- Masters Apprentices – War or Hands of Time
- The Paragons – Left with a Broken Heart
Cheetie Kumar- Guitar
Harmonia-Monza-Rauf Und Runter
Deerhoof-Tears and Music of Love
Brian Eno-Sky Saw
Wire-French Film Blurred
Pretty Things-She’s A Lover
George Harrison-I Dig Love
The Germs-Lexicon Devil
Gong-You Can Kill Me
- King Crimson- Great Deceiver
- The Band-King Harvest (has surely come)
- The Bee Gees-I Close My Eyes
- Dungen-Gor Det Nu
- The Beatles-Blue Jay Way
- Polvo-In This Life
- Bob Dylan and the Band-Katie’s Been Gone
- Charlie Parker-Bluebird
- Lets Active-Talking to Myself
- Joni Mitchell-Free Man in Paris
- Free-Oh I Wept
- Flaming Lips-In the Morning of the Magicians
Birds of Avalon fans should be excited to know that their new album, Uncanny Valley, is coming out June 23 with a tour kicking off at the Local 506 on June 13th.